A journey rich in religious and historic recollections. Following the traces of the old via Francigena, we will start from Viterbo and arrive to Rome meeting on our path relics of the ancient Etruscan people.
We will grasp such an historic background by crossing medieval and renaissance villages, and natural reserves that once upon a time used to be traveled by pilgrims directed to Rome.
We will taste the typical products of these lands while entering in direct contact with producers and farmers, who will introduce us to the culinary flavors (wine and food) and to the culture that characterizes this land.
Moreover, we will discover ancient traditional figures like the “Buttero”, nicknamed as the cowboy of the Maremma region.
An itinerary, which doesn’t neglect the history of these lands: from the city of the Popes, to the medieval village of Sutri; from the Natural Park of Veio, to the Etruscan settlements.
All surrounded by splendid and charming structures and properties immersed in the nature.
Meeting with your guide at the Roma Fiumicino Airport and transfer by private transportation to the Podere dell’Arco (small farm). The sweet Anna, supervisor of the farm, will welcome us with a tasty Italian aperitif. A presentation of the tour and the schedule will follow, as well as a brief visit of the buildings.
We will then relax surrounded by a beautiful countryside, right next to the famous Francigena route. At dinner, we will first experience the local culinary tradition, thanks to Km 0 products coming from the farm.
Two options will be made available to you:
1) After a rich breakfast, a guided walking tour of medieval Viterbo will be organised. Viterbo is famously known as the “city of the Popes”, in remembrance of the period in which the papal seat was moved here. We will then enjoy a light lunch in the heart of the medieval neighbourhood of “San Pellegrino”. Back to the farm by private transportation and after a relaxing break, we will join a cooking class learning how to cook some typical Tuscan specialties, which we will then taste for dinner.
2) After a rich breakfast, we will meet our guide and follow her to discover the Etruscan civilisation, thanks to a visit of the necropolis of Tarquinia, the Archeological Museum, and in the afternoon, a visit of Tuscania with its fascinating museum and necropolis of the “Grotta della Regina” (the Queen’s Cave).
Back to the farm at night, where we will enjoy a dinner composed of traditional products and a selection of local wines.
We will have breakfast, say goodbye to Anna, and set out for the Francigena route, specifically for the important trait called “Cimina”, which passes by the Lake Vico and leads us to the small village of Sutri, through the “Francana” gate. We will enjoy a light lunch specially prepared for us on the lake bank, tasting some traditional lake fish recipes.
We will then cross the Tuscia area, so called after the Etruscan period of domination, only to reach the town of Ronciglione.
We will transfer to Sutri to the majestic Charme Hotel Etruscan Garden, where we will be greeted by a welcoming “aperitif”. The staff that will also be responsible for a tasting event will organise the dinner for us.
- Lenght: 22km
- Elevation gain: 440m
- Terrain: Dirt roads, path
- Grade: easy
This day will be dedicated to the discovery of the archaeological site surrounding the city of Sutri, where we will plunge into the Etruscan history. We will then visit some wonderful gardens and we will be introduced to the “butteri” (the Tuscan cowboys), and to their traditions: for those interested, a horse riding session will be organised, accompanied by the real butteri.
We will organise a picnic for you, with traditional products and wine tasting, in the middle of the country side.
Finally, we will head back to our Charme Hotel by private transportation. Dinner will be served with a background live jazz concert.
Transfer with private transportation to Campagnano di Roma, crossing the wonderful countryside of the Lazio region. Guided tour of the baroque-renaissance and medieval area of the town. Following a light lunch, we will walk through the gorgeous natural sites in the Veio Park, in the direction of Formello via the Francigena way.
Transfer to our beautiful organic farm, visit of the property, and local wine tasting.
Dinner composer of km 0 products, coupled with the wines of the property (I casali del Pino)
- Lenght: 8km
- Elevation gain: 200m
- Terrain: Dirt roads, path
- Grade: easy
After breakfast we will join a guided tour to the archaeological sites of the Veio Park, going back to the farm for lunch.
In the afternoon, we will discover the art of cheese manufacturing directly in the cheese factory of our farm.
The last dinner of our trip will allow you to taste the cheese we prepared earlier in the day, with a selection of local wines.
Arrival in Rome and visit of the Vatican.
After breakfast, we organised a transfer to Rome, guided tour of the St Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums.
Lunch in the Capital in one of the renowned Roman “trattorie” to taste the real Roman cuisine.
Back to the Farm at night.
Dinner and distribution of the technical files with the data from the trip.
After breakfast transfer to Roma Fiumicino Airport according to the flight schedule of our guests.
Podere dell’Arco Country Charme
Old house of the fifteenth century , the ancient home of a community of monks , located right on the Via Francigena. This farm surrounded by green countryside of Lazio is the ideal place to relax and enjoy the local cuisine
Charm Bed and Breakfast Etruscan Garden
Located in the Regional Natural Park Antichissima city of Sutri this ancient structure dating from the eighteenth century has been furnished with Italian and English antiquities for an elegant and unique atmosphere
Tenuta I Casali del Pino: Organic Farm
Comprised within the boundaries of the protected area of Parco di Veio, the ancient capital of Etruscan civilization. Today the farm stands as a model for organic cultivations, with livestock grazing in open pastures, crop rotations and a special attention to all of sustainability
Accommodation, food, transport
- 7 nights at hotels of charm, luxury hotels, and historical properties.
- All breakfasts, lunches as in the program, dinners as in the program
- Transfer from Rome Airport to the beginning of the tour
- Transfer from the end of the tour to Rome Airport
- All transfers during the tour
- Transfer, loading and unloading of suitcases
- Back up vehicle, rescue support
Technical equipment and nutrition
- travel insurance
- trekking poles
- heart rate monitor
- rescue service
- services of a local specialized environmental guide throughout the tour
- downloadable GPS Files
- Back-up nutrition: energy bars, mineral salts, dried fruit, all carried and distributed by your tour leader
- Personalized data sheet
Cooking classes, museums, art cities, winery visits and tastings, events
- one cooking lesson with dinner
- the art of making cheese (cheese class)
- guided tour of Viterbo
- guided tour of Campagnano
- visit the Necropolis of Tarquinia
- guided visit of Veio archaeological site
- guided tour of Rome at San Pietro and Vatican museums
- experience with “Butteri”: The Cow boy of Roman countryside
- tour and tastings at “Casali del Pino”
- private jazz concert
- Air fares
- Extra beverages
- personal extras
- Hotel booking and guided tour of Rome for an extra day before the beginning of the tour or after the end
Note: the tour could potentially be subjected to changes based on the weather conditions, and on the discretion of the guide.
length 7Nights/8Days - Cultural walking suitable for all levels